Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dreaming of Wolves

Well, it seems I’m not the only one who is having strange dreams lately.  Thankfully, mine weren’t nearly as gruesome as Rudi’s.

“Tomorrow’s is especially important…”  Talk about famous last words?  You’d have thought I’d have learned by now, to stop writing cheques my keyboard can’t cash.  Still it’s a double sized chapter, that’s got to count for something, right?

Nonetheless, the latest instalment is probably the most important to the overall story so far and is a definite sign that we’re on the home stretch.  I’ve had to wait nine months to write this chapter.  Hopefully, all the foreshadowing has fallen into place.  The end is nigh…

The more I write the more I realize that I’m using a lot of ‘uncanny’ and Freudian (or, rather, Jungian) images:  The wolf, the moon, dreams within dreams and, in this instalment, trains and tunnels.  This isn’t an especially deliberate decision.  My own writer’s instincts play a huge part in this, and, really, that is the main exercise of Teratogenesis, to start imposing an order and discipline on my writing, to balance the wolf and the man.  Certainly, it’s good practice to be writing to deadline again, the pressure certainly imposes a clarity that is sometimes lacking otherwise.