Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Long Time, No See

It looks like a quiet week for our nameless protagonist (who, incidentally, does have a name, he just doesn’t use it.)  Maybe he’s ashamed of his less than gallant behaviour this weekend.  Maybe something else has happened.  After all, it was the pub quiz last night.

We’re a third of the way through Teratogenesis now, and the momentum of the second arc is gathering.  I am also proud to say that I have not missed a single update.  Although, there were a couple that went up at ten to twelve at night, incredibly close to the deadline.  And I’ve probably cursed myself now.

Timing is incredibly important in Teratogenesis, not only as a story-telling device but also as a structural device.  I make no secret of my admiration of 24.  To me, it was the biggest thing to happen on TV since the X-Files and it baffles me that no one else has thought to use the “real-time” conceit for another programme.  When I decided to do an ongoing serial, this seemed an obvious choice to me;  not only is it part of the apparent form, but it would help to pace out the story.

And this is were it starts to become not just a consequence, but a cause as well.  The story of Teratogenesis is determined by a specific rhythm (which I’m sure everyone has guessed by now,) and this is what drives the actual action and tone of each entry.  The period between entries was determined randomly, but that doesn’t mean that nothing has happened in between.  Quite the opposite; I mean, who hasn’t been too busy to blog at some point?  Each entry is only a window, the world of Teratogenesis carries on regardless on the other side.

Also: promises, promises.  I know I keep promising to post more on The Xaeromancer Project, but I really am about to start editing up some short stories to go on there, as well as getting another Christmas ghost story ready for Scribd.  It is, after all, almost summer.