Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Werewolves Are The New Vampires

Or so it would seem.

I’m rooting through my newsfeeds, at quarter to one in the morning (I don’t approve of my life much either) and find these:

Steve Pink To Direct Werewolves of Reseda: “Hangover meets… Teen Wolf?”

David Hayter to Direct Wolves.

No offence to Steve Pink, but comparisons to Teen Wolf are aiming pretty high.  Still, Solid Snake is getting in on the action, too, with his Ron Spencer artwork.

Werewolves generally get a short order in films because they’re a lot more expensive to show than their undead buddies: the vampire, zombie and mummy.  Over the last ten years, I can think of about half a dozen films with werewolves in them (Ginger Snaps, Dog Soldiers, Underworld I-III, Van Helsing and The Wolfman.)  And the main draw in four of them is Kate Beckinsale.  Consider how many vampire films have been made in the same time (two Blades, the Underworld series again, sequels to The Lost Boys, Twilight et al.) and those are just the ones that form part of a series!

I guess I just wanted to say I’m not jumping on any bandwagons here.   I’ve got posts going back to January and this was all meant to be up and running for 2007 anyway.

My dude was a werewolf before it was cool.  And he’s been to quiz night again…